Friday, July 27, 2007

MANI BLASKIL'S NEWSBRIEF - ASTRAL PLANES

Hello folks of Seattle, and Mega Kudos to you this fine afternoon. I’m Mani Blaskil. You know, a few days ago, I was looking at the detailed report from my security company, Greychild, Inc., and there’s a couple of line items on it that I couldn’t explain, so I sent it over to my accountant. He got back to me right away, and you wanna know what those line items marked “Extra Planar Susceptibility” and “Additional Proto Security” are for? I wouldn’t have guessed either, but I’m told it’s for protection from the Astral Plane. That’s right, the Astral Planes, and no, I did not just make that up.

Now, I’m sure many of you have heard of this, especially if you know one of those awakened wierdos, but were you aware of your need for security from it? From what I understand, these Astral Planes are flying all the time. I wouldn't be suprised that it's actually some hidden matrix node where all the kooks get together and invent stories to scare us normals into paying them for being the freaks they are. So I asked, “How do you know it’s there?” The response was, “Well, we could lift security and you’d see what would happen, could be spirits that are checking into what you do, some can even hurt you.”

Let's take a caller. Go ahead on the line.

"Hello, uh, Mani?"

"You're on the air."

"Yah, just wanted to, you know, say Mega Kudos and all that and what I wanted to say was that there was a dig we was doin', you know I work construction and all, and there was this dig we was doin' on 8th street up there by that, uh, arcology and well, anyways, we was working and got kinda deep for this footing when alluvasudden our equipment started runnin' and movin' on it's own, and our portajohns blew up and there was like a crane that dropped some I-beams on a chummer."

"I'd say that could happen with a bunch of kids messing around with hacking your machines."

"Well, yah, and we've had that happen before, but see, there was this guy, Lucky Eddie, and we called him that cause he just wasn't. Anyways, so he cuts his thumb on oneathem, uh, retaining steels and as soon as his blood hits the ground, he goes all pale green like he's gonna be sick and starts talkin' in some other language, then he goes and picks up his shovel and whacks Tommy upside the head with it, so the foreman calls these here Amerindians and then they stop by, one sits down all powwow style and starts humming, and in a few minutes it was all over, and Lucky Eddie didn't remember a thing. That Indian looked real tired afterward, his buddy had to help carry him out of there."

"This is exactly what happens. Those awakened Amerindians cast some sort of spell on you, then they turn around and ask for money to remove it."

"Ahh, OK, so we was duped?"

"Exactly. Thanks for calling, and stay safe."

"Will do Mani, and thanks."

Let me tell you folks, if this isn’t blackmail by the awakened slotting nutjobs out there, nothing is. I’ll tell you what, awakeneds, there’s this thing called the great googly-eyed bear, and if you don’t pay me to protect you from it, I’m, I mean it’s, coming to your house and eating all the leftovers in your Fridgerizer. Do you see how crazy this sounds? Has this whole world gone mad?

Ok, so say this astral plane actually can fly around or whatever like a real plane, why can’t we just shoot it down? I’d write to your legislator to have this plane grounded, never to fly again, it would save us all money, and whatever spirits it drops are just buddy buddy with those awakened lunatics anyway, and that can’t be good for you, it can’t be good for me, and it can’t be good for my beloved Seattle.

This is Mani Blaskil saying, good day, stay safe, and be careful who you trust. Get your information right here, from Mr. Right, Seattle’s last caring talk show host.

Artwork by Mike Underhill

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

So here's the thing I don't get:

Mani's willing to posit the existence of spells, but not the existence of spirits. Does that make any sense to anyone else?

I know that I'm coming from a biased position because I can't cast spells and I'm sitting next to a spirit right now, but seriously isn't it easier to posit the existence of aliens with strange abilities than it is to believe in spellcasting? Major religions and shamanism have been teaching the existence of spirits for a long time.

I am seriously dumbfounded. I don't know whether to tell my ifrit about this or not.

Anonymous said...

This guy's stupid. Man, I am so glad I don't live in Seattle anymore. How you guys put up w/ that idiot?

Anonymous said...

He ain't wired right.

Flint said...

I want what ever drugs this guy is doing.

Anonymous said...

Willful stupidity of this scale, with positve trid recorded examples of spirits being on hand. Dumbfounds me.

Anonymous said...

I retract my statement about intelligence with racists, at least where Mani is concerned.

OK, I'm as Norm as you get, and have way too much metal to even concieve of doing any magic, but it exists.

Frag, I'm good friends with a few spirits! They are most definetly not (Meta)Human in a lot of ways, but are pretty much people in my mind.

Then again, Mani is smart enough to hire Greychild, Inc. They're a good company with a excellent record of protection, especially with the Supernatural Defence.

Anonymous said...

This is spin doctoring, he's playing to the masses. He used to be a researcher at Renraku Arc. It's scary because he's a helluva lot smarter than he appears. He renounced his Doctorate in Psychology with a specialization in Paranormal studies. You can look up his yearbook from Penn State in 1991, and with classes at Renraku in 2023. He must be 100 or so, my data snatch and grab shows he was born in 1969.

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Only his Leonization Doctors know for sure!

Anonymous said...

I'll bet Greychild just LOVES him as a client,too.

Yick.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed what gets broadcast over here, sometimes it makes me pine for censorship.

Anonymous said...

No, Waterloo, Information should be free.

Even if it's verbal diarrhoea like this. Just slap a "The speaker of this statement wishes to be a Darwin Award Winner" warning on it and call it a day.

Information Wants To Be Free is more than a cliche.

Anonymous said...

Try telling that to the L.P.O. Thats why I came over here after Manchester went dark.

Anonymous said...

He could be that age for likely two reasons; Leonization or Spike Baby.
How I would love for it be be Spike baby. Then again, he's not... exotic enough to be an elf... maybe a rather tall dwarf...

Anonymous said...

Has anybody met him in reality, maybe he's just a front like neo-Ataturk?

Anonymous said...

As they say, long time listener, first time caller...

Here's a way to see if Blaskil believes the tripe he is spreading or not... is he still paying for Astral Security, or not? If he is then he is talking out his other end. If he isn't, there is a good chance we won't be hearing from the good doctor for much longer.

Kilroy said...

I am almost literally flabbergasted at the abject stupidity of this statement. In a world where the dragon president of the UCAS died and left an astral rift, where the Ghost Dance has occurred, where freaking Chicago was inundated with insect spirits, how anyone can still be this abjectly ignorant is beyond me.

Which means he isn't. This is just more anti "normal" rhetoric to stir up trouble for the Awakened.

I wonder how the Yakuza mages feel about this little tirade.

JeremyRocksU said...

Y'all are right. This guy doesn't even believe the shit that comes out of his own piehole.

He knows what's up, but why would he try to hoodwink his own audience? What does he gain?

Anonymous said...

A perception of power over the masses, possibly?

Control of lives?

Thinking he has the ability to twist the perception of reality until it's something he's comfortable with?

Or just messed up in the head, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

The favour of the Great Spirit of Ratings perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, if you scream long enough and loud enough, you start to believe it, so has he duped himself?

Anonymous said...

Surely even he can't be that thick can he?

Anonymous said...

Even the most intelligent of men can be fooled by their own genius.

Anonymous said...

I thought Greychild, Inc. was a security consultanting company... From what I've been told, they don't provide actual security at all.

Eiter good ol' Mani is confused or he's trying to deter a possible magical attack?

Anonymous said...

You know what would be wiz? Forced cosmetic implants for Mani. Kidnap the guy, take him to a black clinic, and give him horns and tusks.

Anonymous said...

Hell malicious as it may be I'd be up for that. Drop me a line if you're up for some pro bono work.

Anonymous said...

This fragging Chair-Borne Ranger is pissing me off. Between the bugs, astral overwatches, and nastier drek I've lost a lot of good men over the years. The kind of drek coming out his mouth makes me want to brand 'eat me' on his forehead and throw him to the shedim. Not that I feel strongly about such things

Anonymous said...

cherub do you have any concrete data on Mani being a researcher at the arc? If he is then your not going to have to worry about him on the air for long. I need to spend a very long time showing him how much I appreciate my nice blue cybereyes. I learned a lot from their little science project and I want to learn just how much.

Anonymous said...

Cinder, if you need backup drop me a line. This fellow needs some wall-to-wall counseling in a bad way. Besides, I have a few questions of my own that need answering.

Anonymous said...

Scope I might take you up on that. As long as you don't mind that me and mister soon-to-be-regretting-he-was-ever-born have a nice long chat. And people wonder why I spent so much time and energy creating a 3 month long BTL of the full Deus experience. There are some times when an agony spell just won't cut it.

Anonymous said...

Just showed this to one of those said Spirit buddies.

It's 0:32:48 after I showed her it.

She still hasn't stopped laughing.

Anonymous said...

Still laughing. If she were anything but a spirit, I'd worry about her breaking something.

Wait, wait, wait...

And she just stopped. Still got a drek-eating grin, however.